Why do we join gyms? Some folks don’t have the equipment, some need guidance, some want to socialise, while others associate exercise with gym and nowhere else.
For the past 2 months, I’ve gymmed at home. Mostly because I’m cheap and I don’t want to pay gym fees.
Image from sandersonj3
All I have are dumbbells. So I did loads of presses, squats and lifts. For exercises like Inverted Rows or Pulls Up, I thought I needed specialised equipment.
That is, until I applied myself to finding alternatives. For Inverted Rows, I simply hung from the underside of my staircase landing. For Pull Ups. I reached up to the side of a staircase step and pulled myself upwards.
The point? When working out from home, it’s just a matter of finding out how to make use of whatever’s around you.
Bone Dry Days: 31 (since 12 Feb)
Bet Days: 29/60 (since 14 Feb)
PS: I’ll join a gym eventually. Probably when I hit 25 kg per arm or if I get a full-time job.
Front Day: Dropped Bicep Curls from Arnold Press. Whenever I increase weightage, it’s as hard as heck. I might continue working at this weight for 2 more sessions.
Back Day: My work outs were spaced throughout the day. Morning for core and deadlifts. Afternoon for everything else. Didn’t quite complete my Inverted Rows because I wanted to run before the rain fell.
Running Day: Meshed it together with my Back Day because I had to de-wart my sole the next day. Harder and slower running after my earlier workouts.
Dates: 17-19 Mar
My last session before I head back into the army for 2 weeks. I’ve to figure out how to train during reservist. Wah lau.
- +1 to all Push Ups (20X Standard; 18X Inclined)
- +1 to 5kg Runs (2 X)
Training RoutinesDates: 14-15 Mar
- 6 X Lizard Crawls (4 X to and fro)
Exercises (3 Sets)
Weight: 18.5 kg/side
- 10 X Squats
- 5 X Reverse Lunge with Shoulder Presses
- 10 X Arnold Presses
Weight: 18.5 kg
- Isometric Lunges (30 sec)
- Isometric Sumo Squats (30 sec)
- 19 X Standard; 17 X Inclined Push Ups
- 2.5 km + 5kg runs (1 X)
Timing: 20:10; Total: 2.5 km; Speed: 7.4 km/h; Ave rest: 0 sec
- 2 min of Skipping Rope
- 10 X Straight-leg Deadlifts
- 10 X 2-armed Dumbell Snatch
Weight: 18.5 kg/side
- 10 X Shrugs + hold for 10 counts on last rep
- 10 X Back Rows + hold for 10 counts on last rep
- 10 X Single-leg Deadlifts
- 10 X Inclined Inverted Rows; 6 X Single-arm Inverted Rows + hold for 10 counts on last rep
- 17 X Inclined Push Ups
- 3+6 X Pull Ups
- Planks: side & front & back (30 sec)
- 15 X Single Leg Calf Raises (+10 Double Leg Calf Raises)
- Slope Running (4x 0.38 km)