When salt and peppa ain’t enough, add alcohol. After all beer goggles make viewees hot and helps population growth nightly (at least our government hopes for that!).
On a foodie note, alcohol also goes with food. I thought: “Why not a wet marinade for a beef roast”?
So armed with meat and little else, I went out on Google and found this Cider Marinated Beef Roast (src: Cooks.com) that piqued my interest.
Did it work?
You’ll Need These Ingredients:
- 1 beef roast, 2 lbs. (I used Sirloin), tied
- 2 cups of Apple Cider
- 2/3 cups of Salad Oil
- 1 tablespoon of Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup of chopped Onion (1 med.)
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled, smashed, but not completely crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon of salt, thyme (I picked up sage, silly me!), whole allspice (no allspice, so I used clove & cinnamon in equal parts), dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon of pepper
Instructions and “Did it Work?”
1. Make the Cider Marinade
Chop up the herbs and throw everything into a plastic bag. How difficult can it get?
2. Marinade the Beef Roast!
Chuck the roast into the bag and leave in the fridge for more than 4 hours. Turn the roast every 2 hours.
It’s a freaking mess even with a ziplock bag. These two tips will get the most out of your wet marinade in a bag:
- Gash the beef. Stick inch-deep holes or slashes all over the beef roast so that the marinade will seep into the beef
- Place the bag on a deep dish to catch slippage from the marinade
I noticed that the cider marinade cooks the outside of the beef. If so, how in the world is the marinade of any use? Meathead Goldwyn’s most excellent post “The Secrets And Myths Of Marinades And How Gashing Can Make Them Work Better” is a fairly scientific approach to marinating meats that bring joy to meat geeks.
The end result of the marinating process:
3. Roast it!
My reference recipe calls for 20 min in the oven at 220C before roasting again for 36min at 180C. After roasting, take it out and give it 20min of sitting time under an aluminium tent.
Roasting Rule of Thumb: 15min per 450g + 20min @ 180C
The Cider Marinated Beef Roast is on the right side (browned roast).
Once 20min has gone by, start carving the roast into thin slices.
I thought that the roast was too rare. And I prefer my beef bloody. Perhaps another 15min in the oven would have sealed the deal. Otherwise, it was full of beefy goodness.